Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:31:02 -0500
From:         Jon Joyce <deluxeokc@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Returning to the List/Vanagons after long hiatus

Hello all-

I'm happy to report that after three years of being Vanagon-less (I've been daily-driving my '79 Westy in the meantime), I came across a screaming deal on an '87 full-Westy 4speed with a bad waterpump. A good friend and I ended up going in halvsies on it, figuring it would be good to split up repair costs etc, and share joint custody once it's back on the road.

In the three-odd weeks since we brought it home, we've replaced said waterpump, along with lots of other small parts. We were able to fire it up last week, and were pleased to discover that it runs like a champ and is a great driver. Lots left to do, as all the empty antifreeze containers stashed around the interior would suggest. There's a fair leak in the pass. side head gasket, and a smaller one on the driver's side, although they seem to seal up well once the engine warms up. Otherwise, there's no visible smoke (white or otherwise) from the exhaust, and no strange bottom-end noises. We flushed the coolant system and are just running water for the time being, as we have the parts to do both heads and are planning on tearing into that job in the next week or so. I drove the Westy to lunch on Thursday, in stop-and-go construction traffic in 90+ degree heat, and the temp gauge stayed right in the middle.

Overall, the Westy is in good condition, although it suffered some obvious signs of neglect and was appallingly filthy when we bought it. Several machine washings, lots of 409 and Simple Green later and it's much improved, but there's still lots of tinkering to be done on the inside, too. All of the appliances work great, however, and the canvas is in good shape, too.

Alright, I'll shut up now and get back to lurking, but I'm sure we'll have some questions in the weeks to come. Thanks for listening and it's good to be back!

JJ Oklahoma City