Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:45:48 -0700
From:         Pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Tough spec to meet

The eminent Mr. Condelli mentioned

>>calculate the drain on the battery and find the size solar panel that will keep the charge up for the 6 hours without sunlight on those Mexican beaches. <<

I suspect the requirement is a panel that will deliver enough charge to add X ampere hours worth of 'power' over the day to keep his equipment on line for six hours. Almost all the solar panels I've looked at don't do much without sunlight ;)

Also keep in mind that the rated power is not the 'real life' power for these arrays. If can get the efficiency specifications for the array versus output voltage. Some arrays as Matt R. mentioned have varying efficiencies depending on voltage.

Sunsei is a manufacturer that makes flexible solar panels for a very dear price. Some can be found online. They're handy, can be paralleled with no extra wiring, weigh little and stow efficently. They're about 10-20 dollars US per watt.

Old guys and TDIs rule! The crusty vets from AUDI Sport took Le Mans with Peugeot TDI power second in P1. GT1 had an Aston Martin DB9-R 'eeking' out a win over the one remaining GM Corvette in the race. David Brown would be proud to see tractor power do it again. Carroll Shelby drove an Aston Martin to victory long years ago.

They were referred to as the pensioner team. I liked that.

pensioner