Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:06:34 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar panels for your Vanagon..
Comments: cc: RAlanen@AOL.COM

Frank,

Based on my own experiences with solar, I have a couple of concerns with the assumptions

1) "find the size solar panel that will keep the charge up for the 6 hours without sunlight on those Mexican beaches."

Actually just the opposite is true.

For system design you should assume 6 hrs of good solar production each day.

This is a standard solar design parameter and I have found it be be accurate.

Whatever your total daily usage requirements are, you need to be able to replenish that amt in 6 hrs of solar usage.

Your actual experience will be a bit better in Mexico because of the extreme southern location ... But 6 hrs is a good solar planning number.

2) "So far my research is showing that the Koolatron P65 Kargo Cooler, 33 quart capacity with a 3 amp current draw as being the best."

Koolatron's are Thermoelectric Cooler and actually are not very efficient.

It is much like comparing the efficiency of our OE Dometic fridge to a newer Norcold DC0040 fridge.

A direct valid comparison would be the Koolton P65 vs a Engel MT35

The Kooltron P65 - Thermoelectric Cooler

Cost ~$145

- Uses 3 amps per hr on 12 volt - Duty cycle is approx 100 % ... runs continuously - Performance spec is 40°F degrees below the outside temperature. 90F outside will get you 50F fridge temp.

So a kooltron using 3 amps per hr at 24 hrs will equal = 72 amps hrs daily usage.

Solar panel requirement would be = 72 AH / 6 hrs = 12 amps per hr.

The Engel MT35 - Compressor operated (Reliable & Efficient )

Cost ~$690

- Uses 0.7 - 2.5 Amps per hr on 12 volt. I estimate the average usage would be 1.5 amps per hr. - Duty cycle, I would estimate approx 50% at 90F outside temps. So figure 12 hrs per day. - Performance spec ... Set it at any temp you want all the way down to 0F no matter what the outside temp.

So a Engel using 1.5 amps per hr for 12 hrs per day = 18 amps hrs dailt usage.

Solar requirement would be = 18 AH / 6 hrs = 3 amps per hr.

That’s 72 amp hrs for the Kooltron vs 18 amp hrs for the Engel.

Big difference.

Of course the cost of each unit is significant ... $145 vs $690.

3) Battery automotive battery vs deep cell battery

You might be able to get by with automotive battery with a Engle ... But I don’t thing you will using a Kooltron.

If you were just using it on a weekend here and there ... A standard automotive battery would be fine.

But you will be using it everyday and that means you will be cycling the batter everyday.

No automotive battery will last long with that usage.

I would made these recommendations.

1) Assume no more than 6 hrs of efficient solar production per day during summer.

2) Derate solar panel specs by 10-15%

3) Increase calculated estimated usage by 25%

4) Put panel in sun and van in shade

5) Keep the connection cord as short as possible (longer length = less efficiency)

6) Use a properly rated gauge for the connection cord

7) Go with a efficient cooler like Engle

8) Install a deep cell battery for the cooler. larry chase www.roadhaus.com

- - -

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:20:08 EDT From: Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM> Subject: Re: Solar panels for your Vanagon..