Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:27:39 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More propane capacity needed
Comments: To: paul@takingflight.net

It goes through the fill valve, so basically the tanks act as a single tank together, joined by the hose, so no other changes are made to the system. I did not mount an external tank anywhere, though I have seen people rig up racks that go at the back of the van for propane tanks so that is an option. But basically you're only using it when stopped anyway so you can just sit the propane tank beside the van while you're stopped.

Chris

On 6/17/07, Paul Chubbuck <paul@takingflight.net> wrote: > Thanks for your response, Chris. A couple of questions, if you please. > > Do you mean to say that the two tanks work together as a single common > supply? If so, does the pressure regulator on the existing tank also > control the outflow pressure from the external tank? Where did you mount > the external tank? > > Thanks again, > Paul > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Christopher Gronski [mailto:gronski@gmail.com] > Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 9:26 AM > To: Paul Chubbuck > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Subject: Re: More propane capacity needed > > When I had my propane filler valve replaced I got the shop to rig what they > called a "cheater hose" essentially one end attaches to a BBQ tank, the > other end attaches to the Westy propane tank. Get a large external tank and > you're good for quite a while... > > Chris > > On 6/17/07, Paul Chubbuck <paul@takingflight.net> wrote: > > A few years ago I installed an Olympian brand catalytic heater in my > > Vanagon. I love it. It works great and makes cold mountain camping > > downright cozy. > > > > I plumbed it into the existing gas lines and mounted a quick-release > > gas fitting on the lower right corner of the kitchen cabinet so that > > the heater literally plugs in there. > > > > The only problem is, the little 3 gallon propane tank wasn't really > > designed for this additional load, so on camping trips longer than > > about 3 nights, if I'm using the heater, I run out of gas. > > > > I'm now considering mounting an additional, reusable, propane tank, > > the type that you can refil or exchange, inside the cabin, possibly on > > the platform behind the driver's seat. > > > > Does anyone have experience with adding propane capacity to a vanagon? > > > > Thanks, > > Paul > > > >