Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:27:56 -0400
From:         Karl Mullendore <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM>
Subject:      Starter adaptor project update,
              and a question for those using adaptor plates
Comments: To: TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com, Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com

The starter adaptors I wrote about two months ago are finally being produced by a machine shop; it took a little longer than anticipated but they look very nice. To refresh your memory, these are necessary to adapt the late-1990's TDI gear-drive starter to the waterboxer bell housing. This will be the perfect solution for diesel conversions and other engine conversions requiring a higher-power starter and using the waterboxer bell housing with an adaptor plate. The current starter that most use is the IMI / Hi-torque starter, which has been proven to fail rapidly in addition to not having sufficient cranking speed for diesels in cold weather.

One thing I've discovered is that not all adaptor plates in use bolt up to bell housing in the same way. The prototype I built uses a through-bolt from the starter mount through the adaptor plate and a nut on the other side. Then I noticed that the Kennedy adaptor for 15-degree VW inline engines uses a stud that is placed in the adaptor plate before bolting to the bell housing. In this case I'll need to offer a slightly different bolt for that location to enable the starter adaptor to work. So: I'd like to hear from at least one person with each type engine and adaptor plate: Subaru-4 - and 6-cylinder, 15-degree VW, 50-degree VW, and any others that are being done.

A second adaptor is in the works for use on the stock diesel Vanagon bell housing, that will be a few weeks longer.

Pricing will be in the $45-50 range. If you have an interest in one of these and have NOT already written to me to be in on the first production run, please email me at this address only: tdistarterproject@westyventures.com .

Thanks,

Karl Mullendore www.westyventures.com 301.432.4645