Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:44:11 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More propane capacity needed
Comments: To: camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM

Your calculations are good. Personally, there is no way that I would be sleeping with that heater running in that small space. Even with CO and propane alarms I would be concerned that a blanket or soemthing could get kicked close enough to start a fire or something. It just is not a good idea.

As for propane capacity, Marshall brass makes a number of products to connect tanks in various manners. The Extend-A-Stay tee connects between the tank and regulator and the complete kit has provisions for both using the onboard tank for grills or whatever and connecting another tank or even a disposable cylinder for emergency use.

Sot of jumping on a soap box here. As a camper,(dwelling), all propane and electrical installations are covered by various codes such as the NFPA, (fire and electrical), and RVIA. There are reasons why the vehicle was limited in propane capacity and even why a heater was not original equipment. Most likely interior volume was a major consideration. Another compliance issue is the US DOT. Many bridges and tunnels exclude carrying propane. 10lbs or less may be OK. I remember the Maryland Tunnels used to allow that. Any connections, especially quick disconnects have to be expilicitly rated and listed for indoor use. Additional Westy tanks should be connected together on the high pressure side with check valves. A changeover regulator is best for this use. No high pressure should be inside the van. If teeing tanks after the regulators, again use check valves so if one fails, you don't just vent the other tank through it.

Dennis