Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:16:25 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Solar panels for your Vanagon..

Thought I would chime in here about the PV system I've been using for about 11 years now. The components consist of 1- Solavolt 75 watt panel, a SCI Mark lll 15 amp controller and an extension for remote operation which is made from heavy duty speaker wire (10g, I think). Connectors are similar to those used for trailer light hookups, only with 2 conductors. There's a cable coming out of the driver side engine vent grill that is long enough to plug into the panel when mounted to my Yakima racks. The aux batt is a deep cycle that lives under the drivers seat. The capacity I can't recall, but not very high due to small sized compartment where I want it to go. It hooked to a aux batt relay kit from gowesty. There's a #6 cable that goes to a fuse block under the sink to run the subwoofer amp, compressor, 600w inverter and various lighter loads.

Typical loads are similar to Mr. Squirrel's, but also include running the Propex heater and stereo/subwoofer for several hours (low volume when camping, of course). The compressor and inverter are mostly used while engine is running, as is the refer in the 12 volt mode. The lights are usually on 'til snoozing time. Camera and accessory batteries are usually charged after the aux is full.

If there is good eastern exposure at my campsite, the morning sun will usually charge up the aux batt by late morning and then the charge controller cycles on/off to maintain float charge.

I used to take the panel off to better position it, but now it mostly stays mounted to the roof which I try to point SE. In hot weather I like to find shade and put the panel out in the sun, especially for multi-day campouts when the van stays put. So far, the battery has never been run down to the point of needing to shut of all loads until recharge time. This system is sized just right for my needs, at least until I add a compressor refer or ?

Works great for me and I wish more of those RVers would get with the PV program and shut off their @##$% generators!

Keith O

PS There's a lot of good info/ideas getting kicked around here on the list with regards to PV systems. I like the idea of using a monopod to angle the remote panel. I went to the trouble to make 2 adjustable aluminum legs bolted to either side, which works fine, but took some time to build.