Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:39:06 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Solar Panels

While I am sure all the calculations we've been seeing in the past few days here, like: Amp hours, current draw, percentage of float, etc etc etc are quite relevant, for about 10 years now I have used a single panel..about 15" x 30" wired directly into my battery, for extended stays at various remote beaches in Baja, powering my Alaskan camper's electrical stuff. No controller, just the panel, plugged directly into the wiring of the camper's auxiliary battery. Yes, I have had to buy two deep cycle RV batteries during that period..maybe I coulda done better with a bunch of diodes and switches and dial and meters... But, you know what? I just turn on a light and look at it. If it's not real bright, I figure my coach battery needs some electrons, and I start the truck for a time to "top off the battery" especially during cloudy periods. Did it overcharge sometimes? Perhaps.. but it's worked fine for me without any fancy circuitry at all... One tip: Do a google for West Marine Products and look into the electrical parts..or any marine supply would likely have these: I got a marine grade plug/outlet and mounted it through the wall of my Alaskan for plugging in the solar panel. I also use it to get "juice" for my 12v accessories when I need them outside..This outlet/plug is circular, small (about 3/4" in diameter) has an attached rubber cover and is stainless steel with bronze connectors..Big ones. This has been used daily on my camper for years..A good alternative to cheap RV-quality connectors. I'm not dissing anyone who knows about numbers and schematics, load paths and float-levels, I'm just saying (and maybe I am lucky or something) my solar works fine with none of that stuff...If you camp with everything from Circuit City in your van, perhaps all the calcs are worthwhile, but for me with a few lights, some batteries to charge, a radio on for a bit to catch some AM news..never was needed.... Don Hanson