Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:18:00 -0400
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Compression, Valve Adjusting

In preparing my current westy for sale sometime soon I have been performing maintenance that I have put off for the last year or two. This past weekend I adjusted the valves and checked the compression before and after the adjustments. A recent discussion on the list encouraged me to change the adjustment to 0 turns in with the engine at operating temp. The average compression per cylinder before and after the adjustments (no oil squirting was done) were:

Before, 1 - 75 2 - 140 3 - 90 4 - 125

After, 1 - 130 2 - 145 3 - 140 4 - 130

This is an air cooled 2.0 that has been my daily driver since I picked it up about 4 years ago. As far as I can tell from the p.o.'s records it has about 80k miles at least. I lost the hard drive that had all of the previous compression numbers. Are there any observations on the change? I will probably perform the same adjustment and test again in a week or two just to see if the # 1 and # 3 cylinder valves settle any after such a big adjustment.

So, thanks list for mentioning again the 0 turn adjustments as opposed to the bentley specs. The increase in power was most welcome (and noticeable). I will have a clearer conscience when I pass this van along to the next care taker.

Jonathan Poole '82 AC Westy