Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:34:11 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Solar panels for your Vanagon
Comments: cc: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>, RAlanen@AOL.COM

> From: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:23:18 -0700 > > The 6-gauge wire I use is similar to westmarine.com's p/n 290882, but > there's no way that it could actually be that wire, at more than $8 a > foot! Still, it looks just like it.

Del City ( www.delcity.net ) sells different kinds of cable that might be suitable. They also carry the two-conductor Anderson connectors. They do have a $25 minimum order, and the minimum lengths on some of their cable are somewhat long. Having said that:

Parallel booster cable in 5 gauge at $2/ft (57151) or 3 gauge at $3.50/ft (57131), 100 feet minimum. (This is like lamp cord on steroids.) They also sell 4 gauge jumper cables in lengths from 12 feet ($19) to 20 feet ($26) - you could buy a set and just cut off the clamps. Or do the same with a locally-purchased set.

General purpose parallel wire: http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=358&page=1 This comes in 18/2 up to 14/4; not really enough for a big solar panel, but the /3 and /4 can be handy if you need more than two wires that run together - it makes a neat harness without having to wrap individual wires with tape, loom, etc. 100 foot minimums. (Some FLAPS will have the 18/4, 16/4, or 14/4 parallel wire in 20' or so chunks with their trailer lighting stuff.)

Duplex brake cable: http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=354&page=1 This comes in 18/2 ($16/100 ft) up to 10/2 ($61/100 ft); 10/2 might be enough for a smaller panel or a shorter run. Just two wires in a jacket. 100 foot minimum.

Two-conductor Anderson connectors: http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=1043&page=1 http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=1042&page=1 Note that for these, both housings have to be the same color or they won't plug together. The 50 amp connectors will be good for up to 500 W of solar panel; you can choose the bigger ones for less contact resistance or greater power handling if you like. You can put together a complete set of two connectors (two housings, four contacts) for about $6.50.

An option I forgot to mention earlier, if you don't have the big crimp tool for the larger contacts: you can solder these onto the cable with a propane torch. You can use regular wire solder, or get a ready-made slug for $0.25-$0.50 that will drop into the connector: http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=1036&page=1

For single-conductor wires, Del City also has battery cable and welding cable, but you may be able to get smaller quantities and less shipping cost locally. You can also get type SJ, SJOOW, or SOOW power cord at most big-box stores - this is the stuff with a round black rubber jacket. It's sort of like a cheap orange extension cord for 120 V but the rubber is more durable than the orange PVC. The big-box stores will have it up to about 12 or 10 gauge; if you go to the electrical supply house, you can probably get heavier gauges.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other considerations from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds