Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:01:04 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Timing belt - Subie engines
Comments: To: David Mari <vw4x41987@YAHOO.COM>

Hi, this post made me think, a lot, about WHO could do such a job, getting the parts/kit is easy, for about 3K you would get everything for a Subi 2.5L conversion including the dreaded harness, but NO new clutch, no new muffler, cat and J pipe, no new coolant line for the older model, no carefull check up of the rad, front heater valve... now let see!

Which engine? which year? would you do some work on a higher millage engine? (head gasket, water pump, belt...), are you able to do so? How many here COULD do the job themself??? of course, you DON'T want a mechanic to do it because it involve way to many hours so you will end up at the same place as a turn-key. I'm pretty much sure that only about 5% of the list member could do such a job. So for those 5, is it worted for a company like Vanaru to built such a book or a video sold WITH such a kit, the installation involve many testing, wiggling, fitting, adapting...

You could probably find a good donnor car for 1500-2000, so with the basic kit + the car, you are around 5K, no job is done at all, engine still in car, harness not remove, your engine still in van, nothing is done to the van... So, that 3000-4000$ + for all that work is well invested money.

Me, i would tell you to put 9 to 10k aside and have that thing done for you.

Even me, with all my experience, i still need some small tips from Vanaru to fully do an installation. Putting the engine IN is nothing, it's the "Hook-up" section that need knowledge.

I don't know, you tell me if some of you could do so themselves.

Cheers, Ben http://www.benplace.com/subaru/vanaru52.jpg ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- i Rob,

Brady is anything but a negative kind of guy. I think he was just pointing out what others have already stated. I understand the big cost difference between a complete low mileage turnkey kit with SS hardware and the higher mileage build it up at home installs is a big number. This is were it looks like there will be some middle ground soon as several vendors are saying they will be releasing mid price kits ($4k - $5K). Bostig, the Zetec guys are the first vendor to be selling and shipping their 1st core kits for under $4000! Which is all positive good stuff!

TGIF :) Dave