Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:40:16 -0400
From:         benoit <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Timing belt - Subie engines
Comments: To: Florian Speier <groups.florian@gmail.com>

Funny, i had over 12 p-mail about that subject, most of you want to stay private and that is fine with me, still, i don't understand why??? The vanagon list is against conversion??? are people scared about those??? like we see here with Flo it's not that expensive for the do it yourself one... I will not move to the Subi Yahoo list, i'm having to much fun here. I just hope no one will bash me for talking about Subi or other conversion.

For all those who did the conversion themselves, BRAVO, that is all i have to say, i'm impress, especially by Maggie who want to stay anonymous (ha ha).

Flo, your story is great, and i think it's average, by that i mean that some chose to go another way instead of keeping the old boxer engine, you took a risk also, but a calculated one if i may say.

Me, i have to that swap in 2.5 to 3 days.... no way out, more than that i loose money, fixing old wasser is way more lucrative than doing a conversion.

Some, not to say most... people are scared about convesion: It's NOT supose to go there, it was not design to fit in there, different company, beuarkkk.... some people live with a heart transplant, they have a good life! Worse, the wasser was NOT design to be in a Vanagon! It's just metal parts, nothing else, fit them together the RIGHT way and they will last forever!!!

I just came back from a dinner with Hans from Vanaru, it was my girlfriend birthday.... we didn't talk about engine, we talk about life and roadtrip, wen i came home, just a few minutes ago, i realise that that van made me a better men, it made me saw stuff, understand life, meet new friends.... but sadly, the engine /power plant made me weak, it made me forget about the real meaning of the trip... even if with all my engine problems i have met great people, i would now like to enjoy the trip instead of worring all the time.

Like some of you may know, next December i'm going south, deep south into Mexico, i have built a van for that reason, i did what ever a could to make it perfect, i have choosen another power plant for security... will it be better, i don't know for sure, at all, but i'm willing to give it a try because i don't feel the original engine would do so, maybe i'm wrong, we will see. Life is a risk.

We just did a conversion last week, the customer call me tonight telling me that something was wrong... on the trany (rebuilt) side, very wrong, i called him back and told him to come to the shop first thing in the morning, we will see and we will find a solution, life is NOT perfect. It's human being that works on those old van, we make mistake, we try our best.

Ben