Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:19:03 +0000
From:         joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on conversions (kinda LONG)

Minus the unfortunate single wire in the single wrong place on my conversion which caused me two weeks of insomnia and insanity (well-documented on this list), the whole thing took six weeks of nights and weekends. A lot of that time was spent gathering parts and studying Brent's site (the bible of Subaru conversions, in my opinion), Tom's site, and the SubaruVanagon list. After it was running and on the road, there were a few things that needed attention, little cleanup items, really.

Had there been a turnkey solution at that point, I'd have probably gone that route, although there are certain parts by certain vendors that are better than others. I used a combination of parts from Kennedy, SmallCar, Mastercraft Motors, Van-Cafe, Checker Auto Parts, and stopshopandrive.com.

I'm not a professional mechanic by any means--I'm a regular maintenance guy and generally leave the big stuff to the professionals. But I found that if you have the time, the space, the tools, and a second vehicle (or a bike), the conversion process really is fun. And once running, creates quite the feeling of accomplishment. Especially when you pass other Vanagons on mountain passes like they're standing still.

Mine's been on the road for 15 months now. I've changed the oil regularly, switched to NGK Iridium plugs, and that's it. Our Passat Wagon sits, collecting dust, and I can't wrestle the keys to the Vanagon away from my wife. It's become our primary vehicle, and I trust it to take us anywhere. (Well, once I get around to making the A/C work...)

Joe T. '85 Wolfsburg Westy Subie 2.2

_________________________________________________________________ Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm