Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:13:54 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on conversions (kinda LONG)

I don't agree. If they weren't so practical, or rather, couldn't be made practical, I wouldn't have even bothered trying to better it with another conversion based on a next-generation powerplant. But there is real value in the vanagon design. For some the love is something intangible about these vans, but for others it's really really easy to point out the concrete benefits to driving one.

What else can serve the same purpose as converted syncro westy for example? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not the sprinter, not any various homemade mashup, not a fullsize camper van, nothing. Nothing will have the interior space, offroad capability, camping ability, light weight, turning radius, weight distribution, fuel economy, and small size of that combination. That's why it's worth doing. Even for a passenger van like mine, what else can swallow fullsize sheets of plywood or drywall, or nine people, be fun to drive, easy to park in the city, and average 19 mpg?

Trying to preserve and build on good ideas is itself a good idea. That's why the development of conversions is moving the way it is.

Jim Akiba

-----Original Message----- From: Matthias Kuster [mailto:matthiaskuster@VERIZON.NET]

As hobbyists we lack the common sense and experience a mechanic already has. For us to understand why something isn't working, we have to go find the answers and try to understand the mechanic principles and idiosyncrasies, read up, get help from mailing lists etc.

Keeping our Vanagons does not make sense on a rational level at all. We can complain all we want how expensive new (Sprinter comes to mind) Mini, or smewhat mini RVs are, but that's what our Vanagons cost at the time also. Now, for love, it makes all the sense in the world to keep a Vanagon. Know that when you go into a conversion. And when you are ready to throw in the towel at times, imagine how much fun it will be pushing the beast with twice the power, 10 times the reliability, reasonable fuel economy and still the roots Westy boxyness and hanging your nose in the wind.

Thing is, you can get the feeling without the frustration: Let a reputable pro do the work for you, and Bob's your uncle. Either path is going to be a luxury, but you deserve it.