Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:24:53 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Video guides - Timing belts - Subie engines
Comments: cc: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>

> From: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM> > Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:44:36 -0400 > > The idea behind the Bostig Core(DIY version of our conversion) is based > completely around video install/assembly instructions.

I think that in general this is a great idea for the install. However, I think it's good to have at least basic service information as dead tree slices (or as something like PDF that can be easily turned into dead tree slices). That way you can print out a few pages of info, fold them up, stick them in the back of your Bentley, toss the Bentley in the van, and go drive. Being able to see a video in a mobile situation requires hardware that not everyone has; reading dead tree slices can be done for free half of the time and with hardware you probably already own the other half of the time.

> I'll stick with as simple and easy as I can find.

I vote for this as well. I've been around at least three cars with odd powertrains. One of them is a stock Geo Metro I3 1.0 l + automatic, with an electric motor shoehorned in between the engine and trans, installed in a Metro. Another is the same I3 1.0 l + motor, but with a Geo 5-speed, installed in a hand-built carbon fiber body. The third is an Opel (GM Europe) I4 2.2 l diesel + 5-speed, stuffed into the hole where a V6+automatic used to live in a Chevy Equinox. All of these are "one off" student projects and are great learning experiences for the students. (It's really cool to take a random pile of crap in the garage and assemble it into something that you can put gas in and go drive at 70 mph on the freeway.)

For something that's going to get me to work every day, though, simple is better. If I was going to do something like swap a 2.1 l for a 1.9 l in a van, or go from fuel injection to carbs, I probably wouldn't mind rolling my own. But for putting in a Subaru or Ford (or whatever) conversion, IMHO it's well worth the money to buy the kit from somebody who has been there and done that. The money savings comes from doing the labor of pulling the old engine, swapping parts over, and installing the new engine, not from spending lots of time figuring out which clutch you need or where to re-drill the motor mounts or whatever. You still get plenty of opportunity to drop bolts on your nose, but you aren't re-inventing the wheel.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds