Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:17:08 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Speed Bleeders, anyone tried them...Reply..

Yes..Tried some. Not recommended (by me anyhow..) Pretty much looked at as dangerous by racers, and just one more widget to fail, one more possible place to allow air into your hydraulics...a little grit in the seating area for the spring loaded ball valve, and you'll get air..A broken retainer spring could cause real problems.. The ad copy on the site quoted by the Original Poster says pressure bleeders cost $300? Not the one I use..It was like $25 at the most 5 yrs ago..inflation hasn't hit THAT hard, has it? Mine is a plastic tank like a garden weed sprayer, but small. Has a hose going to a cap that matches my brake fluid reservoir. You fill up the tank, screw on the cap onto the reservoir and pump up the pressure to about 15lbs..mine has a pressure gauge on it also...Then you go to your bleed screw and open it till you get no bubbles and close it..Go to the next closer wheel or slave and repeat...I usually have to pump some more pressure in after about two wheels, just to make sure..If you are doing a whole system flush, I use a different color brake fluid..For example ATE has a Super Blue and a Gold fluid..So by alternating, you can see when you are getting fresh fluid at the bleeder valve...One man job, and no possibility of air leaking back past a valve on your 'speed bleeders' gizmo. Don Hanson