Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:46:13 -0400
From:         Jamie Auch <jamie@KOOKYMATHTEACHER.COM>
Subject:      Re: My 1991 Vanagon Carat is getting a new life
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

David, Most of the folks that are doing the diesel conversions are also modifying the transmissions to bring down the rpms. It's not a good idea (for longevity) to consistently rev a diesel engine. From the research that I have done and the opinions of people who do this for a living, it's best to cruise a diesel engine at 3400 max. The only way to modify the automatic transmission is to get a 3.73 ring and pinion instead of the 4.06. Unfortunately these are difficult to find and pricey! I know, I have almost all the stuff needed to convert my '89 automatic to a 1.9 Turbo Diesel. Unfortunately for me, I rode in Ben's Tornado Red Subaru at Busfusion and I might have changed my mind.

Jamie The Kooky Math Teacher