Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:33:48 -0700
From:         Thomas Pfrommer <pfrommer@PHAS.UBC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Intermittent Oil Pressure Issue 87 syncro
Comments: To: Josh Ziady <jziady@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Josh, I do not want to scare you, but thats exactly how things started with my 87 Vanagon. I ignored it 100km too long and lost in the meantime an entire rod bearing (I could not find any material when I opened it -- completely gone into small pieces), as something was stuck in the oil galley. I ended up stripping down everything to get to the crank and rebuilt the entire engine as I had all these metal pieces in it. You can certainly change the spring (don't stretch it, its cheap to buy a new one), its easily accessible, but i would rather recommend to add an oil pressure gauge to have a better idea how bad it is. These senders only tell you, you are below the limit (0.9bar above 2000rpm, 0.3bar below 2000, or is it different for synchros? I don't know), but what if you only have say 1 bar at 3000rpm, not good either!

I am also fairly new and there are many people here on the list that know these things way better, I just wanted to mention that this is something I would look into before you go on a long trip. After the first indication, I did not have that many km to drive until a very loud noise out of the engine ;-(

Cheers Thomas

Josh Ziady wrote: > Hello all. I am new to the list, so forgive me for rehashing what > seems to > be a common issue, but one that has some wierd particulars I have not > seen > in any discussions thus far. I have I have an '87 syncro GL. > Occasionally, > but not always, the oil pressure light and buzzer will come on, stay > on from > anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds, and then (almosts always) go off. This > only > happens after a period of highway speed driving, and especially when I > slow > down on an exit ramp. I talked to a mechanic, who suggested that (1) the > decrease in speed could cause a temporary drop in oil pressure, (2) > the wire > to the lower sender could be grounding out and (3) that the spring to the > relief valve (I think) could be bad (and that this issue could be > solved by > stretching the spring thus making it a bit stiffer). Or, the bearings > could > be bad. I am using 20w-50 oil, and the van runs well otherwise. It is not > overheating (just had head gaskets replaced, and leak down tests say they > are good now). Another mechanic replaced a bad sender, drove it a > bunch, and > couldn't replicate the problem. I want to do a long trip soon, and I > don't > want burn up my engine. Any ideas? > > Josh Ziady >