Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2007 02:42:19 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Higher elevation -- anything to watch out for?
Comments: cc: Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>

> From: Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM> > Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:21:49 EDT > > Both times it was as I had just arrived [in Denver]. I shut down the > [1.9] bus to go into a store lets say for 10 minutes and it wouldn't > start again. Kind of a flooded situation in that I had to pull the > plugs, let it all dry out for a while, and then it fired up.

If it was a carb instead of fool injection, I'd say that sounds like a classic case of vapor lock. I think FI is not nearly as susceptible to that as carbs are, but I guess it could happen.

> I was told that at elevation the gasoline is configured differently than > lower elevation gasoline.

Maybe. It might be a little more volatile to improve its ability to burn in the thinner air. I do know that you can "get away" with lower octane at elevation - in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas your typical choices at the pump are 87, 89, and 91; in Denver you get something like 85, 87, and 89. (All (R+M)/2 numbers.)

> I was also told that the condition I suffered those few times was > due to not stopping as I gained elevation and fill (top off for lack > of a better term) the tank with the "properly" configured gasoline > as I got higher.

I somewhat suspect that what this actually does is give you a couple of gallons of gasoline that haven't been sitting around heating up in your van, which reduces the evaporation rate in the tank.

> I was told that at every 1000 feet of gain or so you should fill what > space you have in the tank with the elevation configured gasoline. This > because as you go higher it's a difference configuration for the > ascending elevation.

I know gasoline blends are kind of micro-managed in some parts of the country, but I don't think they're that micro-managed. If you have A/C, an interesting experiment might be to fill up the van's tank down in the valley, then fill up a couple of fuel jugs as well at the same station. Stash the jugs securely inside the van (now would be an excellent time to stop smoking), run the A/C, and drive up the mountain. When you burn a couple of gallons out of the van's tank, stop and dump a jug into the van's tank. See if filling up with cooler "valley" gasoline has the same beneficial effects as filling up with "elevation" gasoline periodically.

Matt Roberds