Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:57:24 -0700
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Golf Alternator?

The webpage I was looking for was:

http://volksweb.relitech.com/90alt.htm

The text (for the archives) is:

Alternator Alternatives

Last week, the dashboard warning light (AKA - "idiot light") for the alternator lit up. When that light is on, it means that battery voltage is higher than the alternator output voltage. In other words, the alternator output is low or non-existent. I suspected the voltage regulator mounted on the back of the alternator was the culprit, so I priced one out from my local FLAPS. For $60 I could get a Bosch unit, or $30 bought me a Taiwan no-name regulator. A Bosch brand rebuilt alternator (Model AL27X) with a lifetime warranty from the same FLAPS was $160.

Being the cost-conscious type that I am, I wondered about a used alternator. Nice concept, but finding a donor Vanagon in the junkyard is a bit rare around here. But the wreckers have plenty of late model Golfs and Jettas, and the 90 Amp alternators from them will fit the Vanagon just dandy! This is also a great method of upgrading from the 65 Amp alternator found in some earlier water-cooled Vanagons.

From these pictures, you can see that the Vanagon alternator (on the left) is identical to the Golf alternator (on the right) with the exception of the drive pulley for the alternator belt.

To use the Golf alternator on the Vanagon, simply swap the pulleys from one to the other. The nut holding the pulley on was pretty tight, so I had to use a hand impact driver tool to remove it. In this picture, you can see both alternators with the drive pulleys removed - exactly identical.

Here's the Golf alternator with the Vanagon pulley installed. Be sure to re-use all the spacer washers exactly as before, and apply Loctite(r) the threads of of the shaft before installing the nut. I installed the used alternator, and checked the output voltage. 14 Volts, just as it should be!

Unfortunately I am still without a part number or model year for golf / jetta

Chris

On 6/20/07, Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I heard the Golf 90A alternator is an almost direct drop in to the > vanagon (you just have to use your old wheel). Anyone know what year > golf and the golf part number? > > Also, someone had a website on the golf alternator swap. Anyone have the link? > > Chris >