Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:03:41 -0700
From:         Steven Smith <kewsps@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Catastrophic failure of coolant level sensor

Ironically, the reason I changed the sensor in the first place was to stop the blinking warning light. It didn't stop blinking, so I changed the relay under the dash which also didn't help. So I disconnected the light. Now, after this close call, I feel I need to get the light to work again.

I seem to remember that unplugging the coolant level sensor would cause the temp gauge to bury itself to the hot side no matter what the actual water temp was. It's not doing that at the moment, which is making me think that the blinking light is not coming from the coolant level sensor circuit but the over-temp side of the circuit.

I've done everything suggested in the archive, replaced the relay under the dash and coolant level sensor, checked for voltage on pin 14? was it, and checked continuity of the wires.

I will check the grounds again and look at the temp circuit, if I can't find anything, could it be the Gauge itself?

I also seem to remember something about the coolant mix needing to be 50%? If true, that is sophisticated!

TIA for any assistance!

Steven Smith <kewsps@YAHOO.COM> wrote: Hello all,

Put a new, supposedly German, coolant level sensor in my 84 Westy about 2k miles ago, only to have it crack in half and leave me stranded during what would have otherwise been a delightful trip to the mountains yesterday.

Yes perhaps I overtightened it, but not enough to cause the top to separate from the threads at some random time in the future, letting the coolant out in one big whoosh! Large pool of water on the ground, steam coming from every crack and vent.

Fortunately, all is well (long explanation), although my confidence is shaken.

Went to the dealership today to compare their part with the one that broke and the one that I purchased to get me home and found that the dealer part is made of a shinier denser looking material, and comes with the right size O-ring.

I suspect I may have overtightened the aftermarket sensor when upon warm-up it immediately started to leak, which then led me to realize the O-ring that came with it was much smaller than the one on the original part, at which time I just switched O-rings and forgot about it. Beware!

Anyway, this part is only $23 at the dealer, as compared to the faulty one at $13. Stay away from it. Buy an extra from the dealer, and keep it in the van. If you are currently using one of these aftermarket things, change it. Don't spoil your day!

Steven

--------------------------------- Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.

--------------------------------- No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started.

--------------------------------- You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.