Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:40:33 -0400
From:         John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Engine Conversion

If there were enough late model Subaru's available I would love to do more Subaru's. We would also like to offer a lower priced conversion. We thought the EJ22's would be the lower priced one but to take a 15 year old engine and get it up to speed to sell costs more than a 3 year old EJ25! The Ecotec has a lifetime timing chain with automatic tensioner. 100k spark plugs, oil changes, and that is about it. It is GM's new "world" engine. It is used in everything from Saturn Vue SUVs, Cobalts, G5's, Saab 9-3 (turboed), Pontiac Sky (NA and Turboed), and numerous European cars. The new 2.4's also have variable valve timing which is supposed to improve mileage by 8-15%. It also has internal twin balance shafts to cancel out the second order harmonics characteristic of I-4's. I have driven a few rental cars with them and they are butter smooth. I won't have mileage figures yet, but when I get one installed in my own Westy, I will be able to compare it to the WBXer, EJ22's, EJ25's, and SVX's that have all been pushing my van around for the last couple of years. I would expect the Ecotec to get similar mileage to the Subaru. The torque curves are very similar to the Subaru. Very flat from below 2k to almost 6k. The 2.4 has more torque at 1300 rpm than the WBXer has at max torque. What are the downsides? The only one is the same as the Zetec - it is a vertical I-4, albeit a very compact one. It's dimensions are very similar to the Zetec, and both are much more compact than most I-4's. Just like a Zetec, it will fit quite well in a Syncro. 2wd we will have to decide between giving up ground clearance, or raising the engine lid about 2 inches. The Ecotec and Zetec are both inexpensive on the used market and available in huge numbers, even nearly new ones with minimal miles. The big advantage that I see for the Ecotec is factory options for more power. It is far more economical to install a factory engine with 40 more hp than it is to take a 130 hp engine and get 40 more hp out of it. At the end of the day, I am not a fan of any specific engine as much as I am a fan of Vanagons. At 5800 bucks, this conversion will be affordable to far more Vanagon owners than our current Subaru offering (7000-8500) or Bostig's Zetec (8800). As for MPG, most modern gas engines run at a similar BSFC. The introduction of direct injection gas motors is going to bring another 15% improvement to the table. The original TIICO conversion got great mileage. Rumor has it the new high output engine is much worse. The Subaru 4 cylinders get 2-5 mpg better than the WBXer running at the same speed. As for the Zetec, you will have to ask Bostig. My Westy with a 2.5 and taller gearing gets 24 mpg all day long at 65 mph. If I get the same with a Ecotec I will be perfectly happy.

John East Coast Vanagon