Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:31:09 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wheel balancing
Comments: cc: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>,
          Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

> From: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET> > Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:42:39 -0700 > > I recall reading that our wheels are 'lug-centric' or some such thing > that I've not encountered elsewhere.

I don't know for sure if Vanagon wheels are lug-centric, but such wheels do exist in the world. There is a short explanation of the difference at http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=91 . An example of a lug-centric wheel would be the stock "wide five" wheels on early air-cooled VWs. There isn't a round hole in the center of the wheel, so the wheel cannot center on the drum that way - the tapered seats of the lug bolts center in the holes as they are tightened. (If you don't know what a wide five looks like, see item A or 111-601-025E on http://www.bughaus.com/beetle25.htm ). If there is a circular lip or ridge on the thing that the wheel bolts to, and a round hole in the back of the wheel that fits over that lip exactly, it's probably a hub- centric wheel.

> From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> > Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:28:53 -0400 > > The problem with wheel balancing is finding a machine that is properly > installed and calibrated, then having a tech properly mount the wheel > and then properly installing the brakes.

Amen. FWIW, I've had better luck with getting tire work for "odd" vehicles done at independent tire shops, or shops that are part of small local or regional chains. The big places do a perfectly fine job of putting tires on Camrys and F-150s all day, but if you want something a little unusual, you may be out of luck there. The "wide five" wheel may be able to serve as a useful filter for tire shops - get out the phone book, call one up, and tell them you have a '66 Beetle with wheels that don't have a round hole in the center. Ask if they can balance those wheels. If they say "yes", it may be worth investigating that shop further. If they say "no", try another shop.

> The next problem is that balancing can only do so much for defective > tires and bent wheels.

I've seen a couple of variations on the procedure outlined here http://www.type2.com/archive/vanagon/56051.html to check the run-out of your wheels and tires at home. Besides marking on the tire, I have seen (but can't find) a procedure where you mark or at least point at the rim: essentially, you jack up the van, get a sharp pencil, and something like a stool or cinder block. You put the stool next to the wheel and lay the pencil on it (maybe with a small weight on top of the pencil), and then extend the pencil so its point just barely touches the wheel, as far out from the center of the wheel as you can get it. You then spin the wheel to see if the pencil gets pushed back - if it does, there's a high spot. You can re-set the pencil at the high spot, spin the wheel again, and look at the gap between the pencil and the wheel to guesstimate how bad the run-out is. I don't have a Vanagon spec handy, but the bay-window ('68-'79) Bentley calls for a maximum of 1.50 mm (0.060 in) lateral runout, which is what you are measuring here. (The maximum radial runout is 1.25 mm or 0.050 in. If you jacked up the van so that the tire just barely cleared the ground, and then spun the tire by hand and the tire hits the ground, that's radial runout.)

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds