Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:07:58 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Golf Alternator?
Comments: To: Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@sbcglobal.net>

FWIW....

I totally believe Evan that the 3 Vanagons he's owned have 65amp alternators because I had heard of them, but I can only think of two instances in the past 25 years where I ran across a 65amp alternator on a Wasserboxer and even then that was in late 80s when I sold Vanagon 90amp alternators (Bosch AL27 & AL33) on a regular basis to local Vanagon owners and shops. Both look identical in bracketry and I sold 90amp models to these two owners with no problems encountered. But all other cores returned were 90amp as well except for where I've noted above. Both my Bosch & VW references dating back to 1982 indicate that for the USA/Canadian market with the DH engine 90amp was the standard and for the 86-91 MV engine as well.

There was a 90amp alternator (AL30X) with the "B22" connection configuration which is essentially a rectangular dual terminal plug (for the D+ [alt light] and "W" [stator]) on the backside of the alternator Bosch says were equipped on 85 DH Wasserboxers. I've only seen one of those.

In Europe, Vanagons were equipped with 45amp (068 903 025 S/068 903 017 A) Alternators & 65amp (068 903 025 T/060 903 017) Alternators for Engine Codes DF, DG & EY thru 1985.

65amp (AL25X/AL26X) was installed as original on the CS Diesels through 1984, based on my 1984 dated USA/Canadian market Factory Fiche. In ETKA (Europe), it's indicated a 90amp (068 903 029 F/068 903 017 P) was installed in Diesels during the same period. Why North America got the short shrift on this I don't know.

Just my second nickel's worth.... -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 6/22/07, Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > No, stock was NOT 90 amp. I have had three '85 and earlier, and they all > had 65 amp as original. Even the ones with air conditioning as OE. Many > owners have done the upgrade, myself included, as soon as need presented > itself, since it is so simple. But, many of the old / previous owners did > not do their own work, and thus left the work to their favorite "shop", who > would almost certainly not do any replacements other than exactly stock. No > reason / justification for them to take such a chance. > > Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM> wrote: In a message dated 21/06/2007 > 3:40:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > All Waterboxers come originally with a 90 amp alternator (AL27X or AL33X), > which were also used on 85-88 Golfs & Jettas. The difference is just in > the > pulley, so there's really no upgrade going on here Both my 84s have 90 amp > alternators. > > > > > > Thank you Jim, I was wonder if somebody was gonna speak up on this before > I > got into some snide message typing !!!! > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) > _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) > - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley > _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) > _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper > camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007