Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:50:02 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Painting Fiberglass bumpers
Comments: To: Jamie Auch <jamie@KOOKYMATHTEACHER.COM>

Jamie;

I first used a FLAPS fiberglass repair kit and bondo to repair damage and dents. Then I went to a paint supply and used what they recommended. It was a three-step process that began with a high-build primer, then the Cloud Grey Metallic base coat, then a clear coat. I used a cheap spray gun and a 2-hp compressor. It came out just about perfect.

The stuff I used for painting was all in the Diamant brand system. Let them supply you with everything, don't take a chance on using anything incompatible. I had them remix (thin) the paint and mark the ratios of the various mixtures on the tops of the cans. I bought a pack of Mason jars at the grocery store to have graduated glass containers for mixing.

The project turned out well enough that I was emboldened (embiggened?) to move on to projects like my entire camper door and then the entire top surface of my daughter's Volvo 740.

I read Ben's color change on his red van dreaming of the day I'll take the spray gun to my Tornado Red 90. I have learned that I will need a better spray gun and a higher-capacity compressor before that day comes, though.

Bumpers are easy. Line 'em up on some boards over sawhorses and shoot them with paint. Then take masking tape for the black trim parts and hit that with semi-gloss krylon.

Jim