Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:05:45 +0200
From:         Erik Peterson <motoerik@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dead 83.5 Westy (injector power)

My poor Westy died, and I don't know where to go from here- help?

It was running poor, loss of power, stumbling, etc, which I think I narrowed down to the AFM. There were 2 grooves worn into the black coating, so I loosened the circuit board & slid it forward, and the van ran great for about 2 days. Then I drove it to work one morning (ran fine), but when I tried to go to lunch, it wouldn't start! The motor turns over quickly, but doesn't *sound* like it's firing.

Thinking it's a spark problem, I geared up with my multimeter & timing light (to check for spark through induction), and headed off to the parking lot. the timing light will flash on all 5 distrib wires, so the spark is there, but it sounds like it's not firing....

So I turn to fuel- the pump is running when the ignition is switched on. I don't have a pressure gauge, but I took off a fuel line next to the injectors & there was residual pressure. So I pulled the left injectors out to see if they were spraying, and BINGO!, they're not! I'm excited at this point, because I've found the problem, right?

I did all the VO meter checks on page 24.20 of the Bentley, and everything checked good. I ran through a bunch of other FI checks also (the ones I could do with the motor not running), and everything checked good. I checked the relays very thoroughly, because I believe I'm not getting power switched over to turn the injectors on. I'm a bit pissed at the Bentley, because the index lists what is supposed to be water-cooled Digijet injector troubleshooting on 24.38, but the tree is obviously for the air-cooled system....

Anybody have any ideas what it could be, or where I should look now? Thanks in advance!

-- Erik Peterson 83.5 Westy Aviano, Italy MotoErik@gmail.com "True wisdom comes to one who has traveled far and knows the ways of the world" Anon Viking poet