Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:09:55 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: What's really amazing about engine transplants?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

At my shop, in front of me, on a shelf, is a reminder of my stupidity, a burned EX valve: http://www.benplace.com/head/heads017.jpg http://www.benplace.com/head/heads014.jpg http://www.benplace.com/head/heads018.jpg

In 2003, i left Montreal for Mexico, worse, Baja, that over 13,000miles, with a sick 1700cc 1973 Camper Bus's, before i left, i had to work on the engine, but i had not much time, so i did what i could to "fix" that engine OK (carbs, Alt, Starter...) but never i took the compression, why, i didn't want to look!!!! i had neither the money or time to fix that one, so i blame the carbs, but in my heart, i was perfeclty aware that this engine was sick, like hell it was. I was not ready to rebuilt this one and leave as soon as it was rebuilt, i should have done that! The worse thing... i had a fine spare head under the rear seat.

The short story, i went, i had all the trouble in the world (hange the carbs 9 time, i had spare ones + a new Weber), i was ready each day to burn the van or kill someone... but i went, and came back, on one cylinder but that is a very long story.

Anyway, that engine /camper van did it, on 1.5 cylinder, we did over 13,000 miles with a very sick engine, overheating all the time, ready to explode any time, but he made it... back home with 3 cylinder with 0 compression. Can you imagine that. This engine was crying for help, i was so stupid not to listen. When i came back home, i open this one, put 2 rebuilt head, news rings, some small stuff and i test driven the van, i cry, and cry and cry... Today, this van is still running like a champ, same engine, 130 psi on each cylinder.

So yes, they are amazing Camper van.

For those who want the long story: http://www.benplace.com/baja_intro.htm

Ben