Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:44:05 -0700
From:         Syncronicity1 <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Painting Fiberglass bumpers

Well,

I just painted them a couple of weeks ago. (usual clean/degrease with Simple Green and sand everything) Used:

- Dupli-Color Bumper Coating in "Dark Charcoal" for the broader bumper areas. - "Duplicolor" Acrylic Enamel in Semi-Gloss Black for the imitation rubber strip on the bumpers and also used this for the grills. - Automotive masking tape - Dupli-color black and grey primer - Dupli-color spray on pickup truck bedliner in black for the spoiler. (Got all this stuff at the local http://www.pepboys.com/ .) And I removed all the bumpers/grilles first and sprayed in the garage. The spoiler comes off in pieces and I did each on individually.

My Vanagon is Silver so I wanted a grey that matched and also wanted to imitate the original grey as best I could.

I stopped by a automotive paint store, and they told me the Duplicolor is good quality and would work just fine for this use. But I am still worried that it might not last through the years, or that it is somewhat porous and might create problems. However the Dupli-Color is a "Premium Automotive Formulation". http://www.duplicolor.com I don't have a compressor and spray equipment, so the rattle can route was most efficient. And yeah using marine grade awlgrip (www.awlgrip.com/) would have lasted longer than the van! But the approach I took turned out really nice for now, and have already gotten complements. I allowed them to cure for a few days, this paint needs the time to harden. Less than $50 for these parts of the van to look like new.

Only thing I would do better next time is to really press down harder on the edge of the masking tape when doing the black simulated rubber strip; I got a little bit of feathering under the tape when spraying with the 2nd color.

And then I used "Forever Black on the all the other trim parts: mirror housing, engine air intake vents, wipers, etc, all the black stuff (http://www.foreverblack.com/). This is really good product, but careful, very runny and in my opinion takes some practice in using it well.

Roland