Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:32:11 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Watch Out For Pricing On eBay was eBay Professor for Vanagon
              parts ...

The original thread here about parts from an eBay store prompts me to chime in with some comments based on my recent experience with a bunch of online shopping. I've been adding a Norcold DC0040 to my '90 Westy and a also shopping for a bunch of related 'stuff' like an onboard charger, wiring, wire connectors (Anderson Powerpole stuff), battery monitor, solar panel, solar charge controller, bigger battery and cables for it and even a (bad word coming) Honda generator.

eBay will NOT be the best place to shop in about half the cases.

When I find what I'm looking for online I've learned (in some cases the hard way) to check eBay before ordering. Sometimes I've found what I want at a good price on eBay. And sometimes I've found a vendor on eBay that after contacting either by email or phone had good prices. That's how I got a price on the Norcold about $200 below the best I could find either online or advertised on eBay. But I found a charger that meets my needs about 30% cheaper not on eBay. I found a local supplier for my battery, battery case, and custom cables by searching the Internet but not on eBay.

A good example is the Honda EU1000i generator. List is $789, street price (though hard to find the price online) is $675 to $700. Used Honda generators of that model have been selling on eBay for right around $600 plus anywhere from $30 to $60 being asked for shipping (I've been watching them for the last two weeks). But, after a tip from Larry Chase, I found an online vendor, that when you call their 800 number, is selling the Honda gnerator at $639, brand new, and shipping included. BTW, that vendor is http://www.wisesales.com/ . And they advertise on eBay but higher prices than when you call.

So use eBay to find what you want in many cases BUT then do some online searching. About half the time you will save money and sometimes even find locally.