Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:17:49 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Beware EBAY LVC was: Re: eBay Professor for Vanagon parts ...
Comments: To: samcvt@COMCAST.NET

Agreed, Beware of Vanagon parts and VW stuff on Ebay as a general rule. eBay is a haven for scheisters, and eBay corporate policy encourages consumer rip offs.

And I realize there are honest sellers on eBay and I would encourage those honest eBayers, both buyers and sellers, to encourage eBay to adjust it's system that benefits dishonest sellers. I realize it won't happen, but I'm just saying...

I occasionally use eBay, and only in dollar amounts I can afford to lose, and often do.

On a total of 20 purchases over about 6 years I have been cheated on 3 items, maybe 4. You will find Ebay has no interest and no means to help in these situations.

In one case I bought some Genuine VW videotapes featuring sales tips for the Vanagon. They never arrived. I never heard from the seller. I was out about $25. eBay told me they could do nothing, but I could contact the FBI since I had made a payment through the US Mail, and the FBI would likely investigate since Mail Fraud is a Federal Offense. eBay also suggested I use one of their PAY arbitration and mediation sites-- for about $25 these firms will look into your problem with no guarantee of resolution.

I hate to be old fashioned. But really, am I gonna call in the FBI on $25 on ebay?

Without going into all the details the other bad situations where similar and included Genuine VW parts that were not Genuine VW. Another guy had a brand new "H" connector for off the expansion tank on the 1.9L which was clearly old and used when it arrive. He took a return of the product. He was "sure" it was new. I lost out on shipping costs.

eBay considers someone misrepresenting a product and taking it back on return, with the shipping cost the responsibility of the bilked buyer, a "positive experience". This because the seller refunded the cost minus shipping two ways for a misrepresented item. The short is, lying is encouraged as such. It cost the lying buyer nothing but the time and he could now relist the item for some other sucker.

My most recent transaction was with a seller with over 3000 sales on ebay and 99% positive feedback. When he sent me a repro VW part not as advertised and in fact unusable I left him negative feedback. He had also had some shady payment practices and was a real jerk to deal with. I lost $25 on this transaction.

So I leave the negative feedback which was simply and honest: "low quality ill-fitting repro part". I now have just learned about what is casually referred to as "revenge feedback". After leaving him the appropriate negative feedback, the seller left me feedback which was "Illiterate moron. left negative feedback on perfect item. Beware when dealing with this guy." or something close to that.

I don't sell on ebay, but I do know that the threat that a buyer or seller is brave enough to leave negative feedback is a very negative concept for those who rely on their feedback ratings to lure in buyers or sellers.

So after this false negative feedback (well, you could argue I AM a moron) the seller applies for a mediation which is an agreement with the buyer and seller to mutually withdraw each persons feedback to the other. I've just found by a google search this is common practice on eBay. And it keeps unscrupulous sellers from having ANY negative feedback. I don't want the negative feedback he left me so I'm inclined to agree to the "mediation" and mutual withdrawal. The Seller would then still have his 99% positive feedback rating and no negative marks.

eBay also refuses to get involved in feedback issues, unless both parties are willing to withdraw their feedback. eBay has no policy about what feedback may include with the exception of a person's name, address, or profane language. So any personal insults or untruths are completely tolerated and I would argue promoted since there is no consequence.

It's a sellers market. If you notice almost ALL sellers on ebay have above a 90% positive feedback rating and most in the high 90s%. In what amateur mail order world is it likely that so many people are constantly satisfied and overjoyed with the used crap they receive?

And high 90s is certainly a good enough reason to do business with a seller if the rating were in any way based in reality. But with honest ebayers in fear of losing their positive feedback ratings through untrue revenge feedback, I'm sure they opt not to leave negative feedback for anyone in many cases.

And yes, my bad for dealing with eBay at all. I send this to share one key reason the eBay deck is stacked against an honest person. Ebay makes money on the sales whether dishonest or not, so has no want to curb the dishonest--except for conscience. And I did mention it's an American corporation, didn't I. So conscience isn't really a player.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA, CA