Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:32:06 -0400
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Crappy VW Show and Self Destucting Exhaust

Wow, I wish someone had warned me about http://www.punchbuggyvwshow.com/ . Decided to go out there and check it out today with my 3 year old. My newly installed cat and muffler decided to create enough back pressure to blow out the older gaskets where the 2 head pipes hit the 1 pipe leading to the exhaust. As Murphy's Law required, this happened on the Ben Franklin Bridge over to NJ. Of course I first though, "gee, that car behind me sure is loud." After attempting to navigate NJ roads* I finally made it to Atco which was 45 min deep into NJ. I was awarded with the fact this raceway is used for other simultaneous events and off-road motorcycle and quad racing. Luckily I brought a wagon this time to tow my daughter around the show. There was 1 bus. Count them, 1. The owner was pretty upset as he said he could not even be judged since there were no competitors. The most buses to be seen were the ones driven by some of the vendors. Wow. The only positive note was there were allot of nice 60's Beetles there. Though staring at the engine of one of those brought back horrifying flashbacks of standing in the snow, holding the lid up with my head to remove the air filter in order to spray some "quick start" fluid into the carburetor so I could get home. Fri*&%^*& 6V system.

My exhaust got louder and louder on the way home. Looks like I need to order some more parts... sigh.

Are there any East Coast VW shows with a good showing of buses these days?

Bryan

* I used to work in NJ 20 years ago and they had what was called "circles" where traffic would drive around in an attempt to make a right hand turn into your designated direction. Since these were too complicated they replaced them with 42 different "forks" which cast you into never-never land because the signs to tell you the proper direction were posted 5 miles back and you were supposed to memorize it.