Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:43:17 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Table leg modification (Loren Bush)
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Michael:

I would remove the nylon insert as Loren suggested. You'll get a much tighter fit, and that is what is needed in this case. The inside diameter of the leg (in my case) is 1 3/16" Bear in mind that I do not have the stock table leg, but rather one of the newer aftermarket ones from Go Westy. YMMV. Dowel rods do not come in that particular diameter, but they do come in 1 1/4". I ran mind through the table saw, rotating it a tiny bit each time, but I suspect a hand plane would work as well. I would suggest coating the dowel rod when you're finished with some type of sealant, otherwise it may end up warping. I used Watco oil.

Most Dowel rods are made from maple, or some other hardwood like beech or birch. I found it very helpful to use a little lubricant on the threaded insert, dish soap seem to work fine for me.

The problem area comes from the table leg coming out of the hole at an angle which in turn chips the plastic laminate. A company called Rockler Woodworking does carry grommets Loren mentioned. Whether or not they have the correct diameter I don't know, but they have quite a few of them. Do a search--sorry I don't have a URL.

Troy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Elliott" <camping.elliott@gmail.com> To: "Troy" <colorworks@gci.net> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>; "Loren Busch" <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 6:10 AM Subject: Re: Table leg modification (Loren Bush)