Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:51:01 -0700
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Table leg modification (Loren Bush) and cupholder coup
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@yahoo.com>

Pix would be great! Patti

On 6/25/07, Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@yahoo.com> wrote: > > >Some cup holders mounted upfront > > Here you go! > > As Vanagon owners approaching the tenth month of life > with our Westy, we've finally done something about the > lack of workable cuppage. Instead of using the > folding types mounted to the front or side of the seat > pedestals (which seem like they might get in the way > when walking fore-aft), we tried to figure out a way > to use some old ones we had left over from about three > cars ago. These are the universal > plastic-basket-looking kind which hook onto the side > window slot on the front door on either the driver or > passenger side. These work fine if your door is thick > enough that the cupholder hangs straight, but on a > thin door like the Vanagon has the holder kind of > droops and is loose. It also tends to interfere with > the inside door handle, the armrest or the window > crank. > > What I did was to devise a way to use the same > cupholder and hang it from the horizontal slot in the > plastic lower dash cover for the heater that resides > in front of the shift lever. You can work the hook > into the slot, but the holder droops there also. I > simply cut a shaped wood block (see below) to fit the > space between the back of the cupholder and the > plastic panel and screwed it to the cupholder after > the holder is hooked into place. The wood must be > unscrewed if you want to unhook the cupholder from the > plastic panel, but the setup is very secure and the > hook slides left and right in the slot to help prevent > interference with the shifter when trying to, say, > shift into reverse. > > I can email pix if you like. Cut from 1"X 3"X 5" wood > block, notched side fits against dash panel, long flat > side nestles inside "hook" of cupholder. Screws go in > long side and top. > ________ > | / > | / > | / > | \ > | \ > | \ > | \ > | \ > | \ > | \ > | \ > | \ > |______________\ > > Stephen > > --- Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET> wrote: > > > Ace hardware also has a selection of grommets. > > Generally they are stored in boxes in the hardware > > section. May be worth a shot. It really wouldn't > > take huge amounts of tools to shave off the 1/16" > > required for the dowel to fit into the opening of > > the leg. Just a piece of coarse sandpaper at a block > > would do it in a pinch. The table saw was very > > convenient for me, and fast! Guess I'm lazy;) > > > > Yes I do agree there are many things that do not > > require huge amounts of tools or expertise, but do > > make life in the Westy a whole lot nicer. Some cup > > holders mounted upfront, a grab bar for the driver's > > door are two that immediately come to mind. > > > > Cheers, > > > > Troy > > > > RE: Grommets for rear table leg > > I just looked at the Rockler website. I'm going > > to have to measure again but it looks like the sizes > > they have are the same as what I found locally. I > > have seen on Westy with a grommet in that location, > > a '91 and the owner said it came to her that way so > > no help (and I never got a chance to steal it :) ) > > > > And I agree that a bigger diameter dowl would be > > just a little more solid. But I have no shop to > > work in so turning an ovesize dowel down to fit > > isn't in the script for me. > > > > One of these days I'm going to continue with my > > idea of a BLOG or Web page that shows some of the > > easy convenience upgrades and changes that can be > > made by anyone with basic tools. We have a lot of > > people on the various lists that either don't have > > the skills (so they think) or the facilities to do > > major work on their vans but there are a lot of > > little things that can be done that make life better > > in the Westy and don't require an engineering degree > > or a machine shop. > > > > > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Need Mail bonding? > Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users. > http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396546091 >