Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:35:17 -0700
From:         James Jean-Woo Kim <jkim.phd@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trashing online vendors
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com>

I have been meaning to mention this to you Mike S.

It is logically consistent to hold both statements: "Usually ships in 1-3 days" and "delivery in 7-10 days."

"Usually ships in 1-3 days" can mean the vendor will ship the order out in 1-3 days, which then can be delivered to you in 7-10 days.

That's all.

Jim

On 6/25/07, Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com> wrote: > At 05:21 PM 6/25/2007, Geza Polony wrote... > >Do we really need this? Seems to me the online vendors that get > >trashed here > >periodically don't deserve it, > > You obviously didn't notice, but that sub-thread started when one of > those vendors began trashing another (based on exactly zero direct > experience). "Don't deserve it" implies that the criticism is untrue. > Are you calling me a liar? > > >If we were talking about fraudulent enterprises, ok, but that isn't > >the case. > > But, it _is_ the case. > > When a vendor sells by telling the customer something they don't > deliver, that's fraud. Bus Depot entices people to purchase by saying > "Usually ships in 1-3 days," but when that doesn't happen, wants to say > that those words have no meaning - they really mean "delivery in 7-10 > days." Want to take bets on whether they would assume responsibility if > UPS had delayed delivery? > > When a vendor makes specific and direct promises which it doesn't keep, > that's fraud. When I talked to them on the telephone about my still > unshipped order, I was specifically told it would ship that same day. > It didn't. > > When a vendor defends themselves with statements which are untrue, > that's fraud. When they do so in a public forum, they're deceiving not > just a single customer, but everyone on the forum. Ron said: "I'll have > to look up your order details and email you directly on Monday." I've > not heard a thing, and it's now well after normal business hours. > That's fraud, and is deliberately misleading others who read this list. > > > They don't do that, and we shouldn't either. > > But they _do_ do the same thing. > > Strange how Ron was willing to trash another vendor on the list, defend > his business on the list, and at the same time say "it's best handled > directly, really; no need to copy it to 1000 people." I've never seen > him say that compliments are better sent direct rather than be posted > to the list, and have seen him hype his products here over those of > other vendors. > > Here's hoping you get ripped off without warning, your attitude might > change. >