Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:40:23 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane filler valve.
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Bless you, Jim, for posting that information. Now I know where I stand if I choose to install the manual filler inlet and bleeder valve.

I read the paragraph you quote as meaning that cylinders "used for industrial trucks, industrial welding and cutting gases" must be labeled, and that our Westy cylinders need not be.

Anyone got a copy of the $38 NFPA 58, 2001 Edition? I could use a copy of the relevant pages in the glovebox if I meet up with a LPG vendor who is worried about code.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

Jim Arnott typed: > John, et-al; > > NFPA 58 specifically exempts horizontal tanks. > > "Q: I have a horizontal cylinder on my recreational vehicle. Are > OPD's available for that kind of service? : > > A: The 2001 edition of NFPA 58 (the LP-Gas Code) recognizes that > horizontally oriented cylinders that were manufactured prior to > October 1, 1998, are unable to be retrofitted with the OPD's. As a > result of this fact, the Code now exempts these cylinders from having > to be retrofitted with OPD valves. Any such cylinder must have a > label affixed to it to inform the user and the refiller that an OPD > valve is not installed." > > The 2001 edition of NFPA 58 modified requirements to exempt > horizontal cylinders manufactured before October 1, 1998, from > requiring OPDs. Also exempt are cylinders used for industrial trucks, > industrial welding and cutting gases (these cylinders must be labeled > with their use). > > > Sources: <http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=534> and > <http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp? > categoryID=303&itemID=19333&URL=Research%20&%20Reports/Fact%20sheets/ > Vehicles/gas/fuel%20safety/Propane%20cylinder%20overfilling% > 20prevention%20devices%20(OPD)> > > To be legal, all you need is a label. > > > On Jun 25, 2007, at 4:55 PM, John Middelkoop wrote: > >> You can just switch to a plain filler valve and outage valve >> (manual safety, stop filling when it starts coming out the outage) >> but its >> not US legal. >