Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:19:24 -0400
From:         Tom Boldway <jboldway@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Retail/vendors

Hi everybody. Let’s end the vendor thread. I was a vendor in bicycles – and finally realized I had to leave retail when I started referring to my customers as “the vermin customers.” Sadly, most people have NO idea how hard it is to run a business or even a clue at all about retail, business or capitalism. Markups? You mean you sell it for more than you paid for it? The customer is NOT always right. I told one fellow to never come back and if he had any friends to tell them not to come either. You’d be amazed at what people want “warrantied” – just thinking about retail and dealing with vermin . . . err . . . I mean customers makes me apoplectic. A lot of it has to do with your customer base – I was dealing with customers in the “Happy Valley” (Amherst, MA area). Lots of ex hippies, hippie wannabees and general malcontents. An example would be one baked trustafarian who droned on for about an hour and half while I worked and he was asking about different derailleurs for his bike. When he finally wore himself and everybody else in earshot out he said “well I can get that for 20% less from Bike Nashbar” and left. Imagine my surprise when he showed up a month or so later with the same derailleur we were talking about – now in his hand and a mangled piece of fecality. Why was he coming to my shop? To have it warrantied by us, or so he thought . . . (that sizzling sound you now hear is my brain overheating again). Bicycle business on Cape Cod was a different story – loads of happy customers, friendly people (which you would NOT expect in a tourist trap area). So, folks, let's cut the vendors some slack.