Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:29:01 -0700
From:         mad madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      AC

had the same issue with the van I purchased. Here's what I did... I read everything I could off the internet on changing over to 134. I talked to 3 AC shops to see what their approach was. I decided not to convert because of compressor oil issues I read about... and because here in Arizona we need everything we can get out of the AC. The 134 reduces the output coldness a bit. I read the yellow pages and selected five places to take it to, called and interviewed them. Asked prices for freon vs. labor. Thaat's where the huge difference was. The price of freon was $50 - $175 per unit. I also asked if they had the equipment to vacuume it out... act dumb here because few like to admit they release it into the air. THe good shops have the equipment to recover it. So I piicked out two that were more reasonable. and after discussing it with them went with the one closest to my office so I could walk back!

Before I left the car with them, I took out the shelf and opened up the rear cabinet so all the parts in the back cabinet were accessible - so I wasn't paying for fiddling about and greesy finger prints later. The shelf is removable just sniff around, and I removed some other cover in there too.

When I droped it off, they warned me that it could cost as much as $3,000 to fix depending on what they find... eee gads! So I gave them explicit instructions to only dye test, determine what it would take to fix, and then call me and let me choose. They did the dye test and found a leaking $10.00 valve in the rear cupboard. Replaced that and filled with Freon. Everything worked!. Then they discussed the loud compressor... that they thought really needed to be replaced and gave me a horror story. So I emailed Daryl of AA.. and he said not to worry that all would happen is it would freeze up and the belt would break.

THat was a year ago and its still going strong. Sometimes its really quiet, sometimes its loud... and so I wait!!

Good luck, Madeline

--------------------------------- Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.