Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:10:58 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C resuscitation - where to start?

Many years ago, after blowing a ton of money on my 84's AC system, I decided to never go that route again (Freon 12, shop labor). So, last summer I converted my 90 Westy's AC system to 134a. It was checked by an AC guy and vac'd out. He said it was plugged up and would cost a lot to get it up and running either with 12 or 134a. I ordered a 134 kit, dryer and blew out the lines with compressed air. Also removed the compressor and drained it. Installed new O rings, the dryer and tightened all the connections. In went the oil and then I charged up the system with MaxiFrig which blows colder air than R12 and much colder than 134a, is environmentally friendly and way cheaper (about $2 per can). When I was done, the total cost was less than $200 (half of that went to the AC guy for his labor).

MaxiFrig has been working fine in my van for a year now and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. So, for all of you out there thinking it better to keep the old R12 system going, think again. You are allowing freon to escape into the air depleting the ozone layer and spending a stupid amount of money for what? Please reconsider your options and choose wisely.

My 2 cents...

Keith O.