Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:49:34 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reflective tinting ...

I suppose you could try something like this:

http://www.koolseal.com/product_family.asp?family=aluminum

if you were really dead set on it.

I had a house here that had similar stuff on the original roof and by my numbers the peak internal temperatures were about 20% lower with it than with plain rolled roofing I put on later. This is in the SoCal desert, btw.

On the other hand, my '87 Vgon is white with a white roof... Alpine white, I think it is (and a grey interior). My subjective impression is that it is generally 'cooler' after sitting in the sun then a number of other vehicles I've driven, so painting it white may do ya. I haven't tinted the rear windows yet, but I will eventually.

I remember reading an article about somebody that got curious as to why the crows do so well out here in the intense heat, since they are obviously black as sin. They did a study and concluded that while they may be black, their feathers are also very shiny (I coulda told them that). They determined that the reflective qualities (and here they got into a bunch of technical information about how much of which rays were blocked/reflected, etc) of the coating on the feathers made any heat-absorbing tendencies of the color completely irrelevant.

They also referenced, but did not get much into, the tribes of Bedouins (?) that wear almost exclusively dark clothing, and their theories about the fibers used to make the clothing.

So I wonder if it may be that there exists in the automotive paint industry a clear coat or something like it that has reflective/blocking qualities, so you can get the effect without changing the color? If not, you should invent one- just remember to give me my cut.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thor Svenson" <syncromonster@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:06 PM Subject: Re: Reflective tinting ...