Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:48:54 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Mailing to yourself and some NVC on Power sources.

You can mail stuff ahead, C/O ______(your name) General Delivery_____Post office of whatever town. Dunno how Canada works that, but I have mailed stuff, general delivery, from Oregon to California and picked it up at the counter of the PO..A friend does a lot of bicycle touring and does the same, rather than carrying everything on his bike, he sends ahead a change of clothes, uses the old package to send his dirty laundry home...

Off topic below, delete if you don't like it.

Power...I live on the Columbia River, where the Bonneville Power Administration has lots of publicly financed dams, but operates as if they own the world. So, you think we'd benefit from having all that right here, but nope. Originally, they 'sold' the idea of all the dams as projects to improve the economy, sources of cheap power, irrigation, etc. But, since "its just business" now a great portion of the power is shunted to california, because they bid more for it, and don't want to mess up their own backyard with power plants and dams... So much for our cheap power...All the aluminum plants that were built next to the dams? Abandoned now, because the cost to power em..Cheaper to import our aluminum from Peru..We just have the dams, not the cheap power.. And we'll probably pay the same as someone in Carmel to plug in our Prius..when they finally release the new battery technology..Maybe they should build some coal fired power plants in Carmel and make the electricity they use right there...Nah.."Its business" besides, industry is 'dirty' Don Hanson

more...LA is a huge market for power. There is a company trying to ram a large transmission line right through the middle of the Anzio-Borrego State park, one of the few desert areas east of San Diego that is kinda protected. This company stated...paraphrase..that they were building a totally Green power plant near El Centro, California, and in order to make it financially feasible, they had to take this new "green" power directly to LA" But the project is scheduled for immediate completion (the transmission line portion anyhow) and the technology for the power production was acknowledged to be at least 20 years away... Of course, they have (just a coincidence, I am sure) right across the border in Mexico, a huge unregulated steam/coal plant that is almost finished... So, promise em "green power". Then run a giant pylon power line through one of the few desert wilderness areas left and hook it up to your Mexican smoke belching steam plant, built across the border to avoid regulation and to keep the labor costs down..And then conveniently forget about the promised Green power plant, for which the technology doesn't even exist yet, anyhow...Good scam.?.Make a bundle for the shareholders of that company...might be Enron...?