Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:09:23 -0400
From:         Sam Conant <samcvt@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: What is it with the US? (No real van content)
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

I realize fully that this content is off the VW subject ....

You are right on the dime, Greg. I've been up to the Hydro Quebec to observe the first and subsequent developments, and have read the rationales for the projects which have truly devastated the entire human, animal and geo-biological ecology of a region far larger than the state of Texas - Think Hudson Bay north and east to the seas. I've met with and listened to natives in that region. I've seen the dead carcasses and observed the consequences of reversed water flows across the land.

The US energy sellers saw Hydro-Quebec as the absolute savior, and entered into contracts which, by any standard, could have been viewed as not consumer friendly in the U.S. But, fairness prevails, and I don't have any problem with the Quebecois profit motives - just that our industry in the U.S. was so damned callous about the truly destructive impact of our greed on a fragile human and geo-physical ecology.

Some friends and colleagues of mine "Jim Higgins and David Boedy" helped bring some of the indigent natives from the region to Vermont and, eventually, to Washington, DC to testify about the disastrous results they were already experiencing in that part of the world. They had documentation about the effects on flora and fauna in that region as well. The folks with public utility interests here in the Northeast and in Washington listened to the utility lobbyists from Canada and the U.S. and the results are well documented and known - ecologic and environmental destruction. And, here in the U.S. we continue to argue about climatic warming, and using our dish washers and air conditioning equipment.

Sam Conant Colchester, Vermont ----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Potts" <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:30 PM Subject: Re: What is it with the US? (No real van content)