Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:31:41 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: dropping the engine, 81 air cooled

As far as most of the procedure goes, there is not a whole lot of difference between your air-cooled, and any WBX. Here is what I did with mine.

The rear of the van was up on standard maintenance ramps. If you aren't in running trim, jack up the van far enough to get the ramps under the wheels, or use a cable come-along and a relatively fixed object to winch it up onto the ramps. Having the van on its wheels, on the ramps, makes it more stable, and so, also safer. This way, there is enough room for you, the floor jacks, and the engine. DO NOT FORGET to chock the front wheels! Use real safety chocks. I nearly ran over myself because my van over-ran the chocks I chose.

The best trick for the trans support is a 1000 lb. capacity ratchet strap. Run it from one side to the other, using the holes thoughtfully provided for similar devices, already in the sides of the frame rails. (If the strap you choose has hooks too large to go in the holes, go to the hardware store, and get a pair of large threaded eye bolts. Be careful NOT to get the wood threaded ones. You want machine screw threads - regular type threads. Put these eye bolts thru the holes.) This strap lets you support the trans at the bell housing, independant of the jack that supports the engine. Leave the forward trans mount in place - it becomes the pivot. Lower the engine with the trans still attached first, then, when there appears to be enough clearance, ratchet the strap up to take up some of the slack, supporting the trans. Break the engine loose from the trans, and off you go.

Of course, this all assumes the odd details are already taken care of. Things like axles, throttle linkage / cable, shifter linkage, heater air runs, yada yada yada.

John <vanagonvw@GMAIL.COM> wrote: 81, Air Cooled Vanagon.

I am pretty sure I have to at least replace/rebuild one head, but its blistering hot in the garage, and probably a few days before I get re-hydrated enough to go back out, retest everything and verify the results I have come up with.... :-)

So, its time to start the mind thinking towards pulling the engine, for either new heads, or maybe a new engine. Just in the thinking mode.

Do folks have any good urls tucked away that explain this process in more detail? Pix would be great. I have manuals, it doesn't look that hard. Popping the stuff off the top, and actually dropping the engine is pretty easy to imagine.

The place where I think I will have the most trouble envisioning the process as I go over it in my mind, is at the trans. I am curious to find pix, or explanations of what I will find at the trans/engine connection. Can't drop the engine straight down, so looking for expriences, or writeups about what to expect when I get to the point where I am separating the motor/trans.

Also, how high do I have to get the van up, to make clearance for all of this.

Lots of folks say this is a one hour job. That means 8 hours for the first timer :-) which is fine with me. I just like to imagine what I will be doing, long before I actually get after it....

Thanks much for any pointers, or references.....

John