Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:21:19 -0700
From:         Mike Meuser <mike@HISTORICALSCALEMODELS.COM>
Subject:      Super high HC on smog test - help

Hi - Just took my 83-1/2 water cooled westy in for smog test. I'm in Eureka, CA where smog test is only required on transfer so it's been about 5 years since last smog.

Amazingly the HC at idle was 6344 and the max allowed is 250 - that's like 25 times over the limit! At 2500 rpm it measured 1733 and the max allowed is 200 - that's overr 8 times the limit!

The engine seems to be running smooth. You'd think that if it was missing so badly to spit out that much unburned fuel that it would hardly run.

Is it possible to have values this high and still have what seems to be a good running vanagon? Could the test be bad? Could this be a very bad and clogged catalytic converter?

There is no outward sign of running super rich - no black smoke, no heavy exhaust smell.

Anyway, wondering if new plugs, wires, rotor and cap would fix such a terrible showing at the smog station or are there other things I should be looking at?

My experience is that these are always difficult to smog, but not THIS difficult :) Any help appreciated.