Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:12:12 -0700
From:         Nathan Mc Blain <nmcblain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Bought a Rebuilt Steering Rack have Questions  was:(Rebuilding
              Power Steering Rack - Help Needed)

Upon learning that more than new seals are usually needed to keep a steering rack from sealing for very long I decided to go with a rebuilt one. Got a really good deal on it too. Pepboys sells Maval for $219 but said it would take a week to get here. Kragen sells there Cardone rebuilds for $291 but will beat anyones price as long as it is from a store chain. Kragen sold me their Cardone rebuilt for $219 to match Pepboys price + 5% off for $208 plus tax and core charge!!

I was wondering if anyone here has used this rebuilt rack by Cardone (Kragen, Schuck's and Cheaker's rebuild supplier)? Did you have any problems? It's suppose to be a lifetime warranty and all. Is it any better or worse than the Maval which is often sold by the list vendors? I was disappointed to see when I got it that the inner tie rod boot was already torn, so will use my old ones!

It came with inner tie rods of a no name brand. Has anyone had problems with aftermarket inner tie rods wearing quickly or having play soon after installing them? I would like to hear suggestions if I should just use my old inner tie rods instead of the new aftermarket ones it came with. Mine are tight and trouble free. I appreciate any suggestions or experiences as I hope to work on this today. Thanks in advance!

Nate 1990 Flash Silver non GL Orange County, CA

--------------------------------- Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.