Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:53:49 -0700
From:         most david <dmost@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      fuel pump/starting question...need assistance

I haven¢t posed a question on the list for a few years, and I was going to say that it's because I learned so much since first subscribing back in 1995. But, unfortunately, I haven't been taking many trips for the last few years, and this is probably the real reason that I haven't need much help for a while. The current problem is that I can¢t consistently start the engine in my '87 westy. To be more precise, when I turn the key to the second position, I don¢t consistently hear the fuel pump receiving power. When it does receive power, the engine starts right away. When I don¢t hear the fuel pump buzz for a couple of seconds, the engine just cranks without starting. My understanding is that the fuel pump is initially powered by the fuel pump relay when the key is turned to the start position. I have tried swapping out the relay with a known good relay, but this did not fix the problem. I have observed that if I turn the key to the second position and back off and back to the second position again a few times, the fuel pump does eventually buzz as normal and the engine subsequently starts. Once started, all runs as normal. This problem came on rather suddenly ( a couple of days ago), and it's quite severe (i.e., it seems to be a problem every time I get in the vehicle). A nice local mechanic suggested two possible causes to explore. First, he suggested that the electrical portion of the ignition switch could be worn (i.e., power is only getting to the fuel pump sometimes). Second, he suggested the fuel pump itself could have a problem. Regarding the second possibility, a little background is in order (though I¢m not sure if it¢s relevant). A few years ago, I purchased some fuel that led to rusty/orange-brown stuff coming out of the fuel tank on a regular basis. This problem ultimately damaged the fuel pump enough to cause bucking and stalling and becoming stuck in the middle of intersections. I went to a shop to have the fuel tank cleaned, but I¢m not convinced that the job was done well (that¢s a longer story). But, with the cleaner tank, a new pump and filter, and a pre-filter than I installed before the pump, I¢ve been trouble free in that department for the last few thousand miles (I don¢t drive the vanagon that much these days). Over time, I¢ve noticed that the engine doesn¢t start right away as easily (i.e., it has to crank for a few seconds while I step on the gas pedal), but I suspect that this is due to the filters getting clogged over time and more quickly than would otherwise be the case due to the junk still coming out of the fuel tank. In fact, a lot of that junk ("brown gas") came out of the inlet side of the primary fuel filter when I changed the filter two days ago. So, it seems that it must be passing through the fuel pump itself. Unfortunately, the pre-filter that I installed doesn¢t seem to be catching the stuff as I had hoped. In any case, and in short, I have a lingering concern about contamination of the pump. But, I haven¢t experienced any symptoms other than a bit of cranking/struggling before starting and a bit of excess noise when running. So, keeping in mind that power gets to the fuel pump sometimes, where and how should I start to look for the cause of the fuel pump not being powered when starting? All assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks, David 1987 Westfalia Fort Collins, CO ____________________________________________________________________________________ Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting