Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:31:06 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW recommends 205/65-15 or 225/60-16 tires
Comments: To: "Calwolfie@aol.com" <Calwolfie@aol.com>

On 6/29/07, Calwolfie@aol.com <Calwolfie@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben, > > The rims I bought are marked Ronal 010623, 7" X 16" ET 37. I've already > drilled them out for 14mm bolt/studs. Not sure if I'll need spacers yet as > I haven't bought the tires yet to check clearances. I'm leaning toward Kumho > Solus KR21. They seem to have good reviews, good specs.(85K treadware, 97T, > 640 AB), and a good roadside warranty. Prices seem to be about$70-$80 per > tire. The Michelin tires recommended by Go Westy had mixed reviews. > Several reviewers said that the tires got very noisy after about 10K miles > and wouldn't buy them again. > So, will I need spacers? I know I'll need longer bolts and studs. Will > Audi bolts work? I'm due for a trip to pick a part. What about putting > studs on the front hubs instead of bolts? > > Thanks, > Kevin >

Kevin,

Since you are talking about bolts and putting stud up front, I will assume you have a 2wd. Most Ronal alloys installed on Mercedes cars are cast alloy. They usually have thick mounting pads. If you take your old bolts, put it through the hole and see how much comes through. You should have at least a half inch out or they are will not be long enough. Since you redrilled the lugholes, the contour of the stock lugnuts will not match. The Audi bolts could work depending on how long they are. They did not come in ine universal length so I cannot give you a universal answer. If you are a competent machinist or know someone who is, have them taper the lugholes with a 60 degree countersink, taking care not to take off too much material. You can then use relatively inexpensive conical seat lugnuts or Vanagon factory alloy lugnuts w/o changing rear studs. If you insist on the ball seats, you will need longer studs in the rear and longer bolt in front. The lughole would still need to be recontoured to gentler radius to match the stock lugnuts or something comparable. Swap Away and EMPI carry "adapter" washers but still not a perfect match IMHO.

BenT