Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:12:17 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: slightVC: TDI vs hybrid (was: Re: TDI conversion thoughts)
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@yahoo.com>

Steven,

Our Prius is the 2006 model which allowed a $3,250 tax credit on 2006 taxes which cut the overall cost of the Prius by a great deal. Based on my reading before purchasing, I never expected to get the 60 mpg in city driving but I do get the 50 mpg on the highway.

When wanting to save gas, we take the Prius. When wanting to enjoy ourselves, we take the Westy. Two great vehicles built for different purposes.

Harold

On 6/28/07, Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > > And I thought my wife and I were the only couple > that had this pair of vehicles..... :) > > '91 Westy > '02 Prius > > I've never regretted purchasing new either vehicle. > Especially as fuel prices rise. > > There is another matter that will get debated > regarding gas mileage. For a while back there > was some changes in the EPA MPG rating of the > Prius because people were saying that it didn't > get the MPG that was listed. What I was wondering > is when they re-did the MPG tests, did they do it > with other vehicles as well. I would bet a real > apples to apples comparison. Just for the record, > our Prius actually reflects the original MPG on the > sticker quite well. > > Steven > --- Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > I am a Westy owner who loves his '91 Westy purchased > > in '96. It is in > > excellent condition but we won't go into the money > > spent keeping it up or I > > may not love it as much. > > > > My wife and I also own a Prius and I think some > > correct information on the > > Prius is in order. > > > > The battery in the Prius is warranted for 8 years or > > 100,000 miles (10 years > > and 150,000 miles in California). Many, many people > > have over 200,000 miles > > on a Prius (original battery) and one person has > > driven their Prius over > > 285,000 miles without replacing the battery. And, > > the cost of a new battery > > is falling. It is now down to about $2,400 retail, > > which is down from about > > $3,000. Plus Toyota pays the dealer to turn any old > > battery (wrecked > > vehicle) back to Toyota. > > > > If you want facts and not speculation about the > > Prius battery, go to: > > > "http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyview/2006/fall/battery.html" > > > > If you want to learn anything else about the Prius, > > go to a great users > > group "http://priuschat.com/" and use the search > > engine for battery or any > > other topic you desire. You will be amazed at the > > lack of people who have > > replaced a battery, or anything else on the vehicle > > for that matter. > > > > We love our Westy and we also love our Prius, but > > each for different > > reasons. > > > > > > Harold > > -- > > Harold & Faye Teer > > 1991 Westy > > Harrisonburg, VA > > > > > > > > On 6/28/07, Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@gmail.com> > > wrote: > > > > > > > Priuses don't pay for > > > > themselves either > > > > > > I would contend that dollar for dollar, a new > > Prius will cost much > > > more in maintenance than a TDI converted vanagon, > > while giving > > > relatively the same fuel economy (you cannnot > > truly compare a brick to > > > a needle). I say this because after the batteries > > die, you're stuck > > > with another $10k repair bill. On top of that, I'm > > sure California has > > > strict heavy-metal disposal fees, which would > > increase the cost of the > > > repair significantly. > > > > > > just my $.02 of heavily anti hybrid-as-"save the > > environment"-vehicle bias > > > :D > > > > > > sudhir > > > > > > > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search > that gives answers, not web links. > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC >

-- Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA