Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:00:05 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Refrigerator help-yes, I've already searched the archieves

Here are some more observations on the fridge:

On "Poppie" my '82 Westy, the fridge has been working flawlessly and cooling well since I got it. Some years ago I pulled the insulation behind the fridge, and that seems to have improved fridge performance a little bit. (Presumably by allowing more cooling air to circulate unrestricted between fridge and body)

On "Popul" the '85 Westy, getting the fridge lit, staying lit and cooling well is a chore. Some observations: The relationship between flame strength and cooling seems very non-linear. I can set (with my variable gas regulator) a medium flame. Then have no cooling at all. Then just increase the flame very little and get very good cooling in the fridge (after the required wait).

Once above this breakpoint, andy further flame increase does nothing to improve cooling.

Above some point, more gas will simply starve the combustion chamber of air and the flame goes down (eventually out)

Martin

-- Martin Jagersand University of Alberta http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/