Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jul 2007 04:18:01 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Off with its head!  (Further adventures with right head on an '87
              2.1 l)

Hello all!

I've been helping a friend of mine work on his newly-acquired '87 Westy 2.1 l. We drove it a bit and it was leaking from the right head; we figured we'd pull the head and at least replace the head gasket. We got as far as trying to pull the head off, but #1 cylinder wanted to stay with the head. I asked for advice on the list and Mike Collum had the winning tip:

> The cylinders have "ears" near the heads. Using a drift, tap on the > ears in order to spin the cylinder just a bit thereby breaking its > hold. Then use an open end wrench on the ears as a fulcrum to push > the head away from the cylinder.

I went back over to my friend's house tonight to work on the van some more. I was up top, banging away with a drift on the ear on the top rear of #1 cylinder. Then I'd stop and he (under the van) would bang on one of the ears on the bottom. After a couple of rounds of this, the cylinder came loose, and we were able to get the head off without further trouble. Thanks, Mike!

We knew that something odd was going on from our previous disassembly. When we popped off the valve cover, one of the pushrods was off its rocker:

http://www.birdbird.org/cars/westy/dscn0001.jpg

(all images are about 400 kB, 1600x1200)

Then when we pulled the rocker arm, not all the valve stems were the same height - #1 exhaust (the one with the loose pushrod) was lower than the others.

http://www.birdbird.org/cars/westy/dscn0014.jpg

We hoped that maybe there was a piece of crap stuck under the head of the valve that was keeping it from closing. Alas, we were not so lucky.

Warning: graphic depictions of mechanical carnage ahead...

http://www.birdbird.org/cars/westy/dscn0012.jpg http://www.birdbird.org/cars/westy/dscn0015.jpg http://www.birdbird.org/cars/westy/dscn0016.jpg

It doesn't show in the photos, but there was also a pretty good crack between intake and exhaust. The exhaust valve was stuck tight; we tapped on it from both the stem and head ends and it didn't move.

When we held the head up to the light, we could see daylight through #1 spark plug hole. This wouldn't be that unusual, except that the spark plug was still installed at the time...

http://www.birdbird.org/cars/westy/dscn0016.jpg

(Gee, I thought that plug felt a little funny going in.)

So... he's in the market for a replacement head, either new or rebuilt. Are there any reasons to prefer new vs. rebuilt? Anything to definitely get or to stay away from?

Next question: we thought this would just be a gasket job, so he bought a head gasket set. It comes with the O-rings for both ends of the cylinders. Installing the ones on the head end is no problem and is definitely needed... the old ones almost aren't there anymore. We figure that the ones on the case end of the cylinders are probably just as beat up. Is there any good way to install these without pulling the cylinders?

I figured on doing something like bringing a piston to TDC, pulling the cylinder out as far as possible without losing the rings, and then rolling the O-ring down from the top. Then, seat that cylinder in the case, bring the other piston to TDC, and repeat. Or is this a recipe for problems later? We are trying to avoid having to pull the piston pins and pistons; the engine is still in the van.

We were able to accomplish some useful work, though. He had ordered and installed replacement hatch struts, so I didn't have to worry about knocking the piece of PVC pipe loose and getting smacked in the butt by the hatch. Also, since we had the right-side intake apart, we redid the injector seals, short fuel hoses to the injectors, and the big air-box-to- intake-runner hoses. Most of the hoses appeared to be original - the injector hoses still had that little collar next to the injector body, and the big hoses still had the factory crimp clamps. (Once we had the outboard end of the intake unbolted, both of the big hoses came off of the airbox with the clamps still on.) We've got more fuel hose and clamps and will definitely be doing the rest of the engine fuel hoses before we run it again.

Thanks for the help and advice so far! With any luck we'll get this thing rolling before it snows. :)

Matt Roberds