Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:04:19 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Working on 091/1 Manual Transmission

I know I must be crasy. I like Benny's word crasy. I am indeed a little crasy.

I lost my 4 speed maunal tranny from my 84 vanagon a year or two ago. I was driving off a highway ramp. Suddenly I could not shift out of the 3rd trying to shift to the 4th. I purchased a used one and have used it since then.

Well, there is a problem. When it's warm (or hot) it grinds shifting into the 3rd. It will grind shifting into the 2nd if I don't shift slowly. I don't think there is much life remining on it. I would like to bring my original one back to service. Before it was shot it never gave any sign of trouble and always worked fine for me.

To make the story short, I bought another used one and was told it would pop out of 2nd on acceleration. It has a good 3rd/3th. I am thinking to swap the good 3rd/4th of this tranny (from an 87) into my 84's. I will reuse my own reverse/ 1st and 2nd. I understand that the 3rd/4th is on its own shaft. If I can take the entire shaft out and swap out my bad one I have a chance of a good tranny again. I do not want to spend more than $1k for a rebuilt one (including labor of swapping the tranny) on my 84 with an already tired engine.

My question is what are the basic tools I must acquire in order to do this job. I have both trannies on the ground. I know I need a special tool to remove the two large adjusting rings (one on each side of the tranny). I probably can make one myself for this. But the next tool I need is for the large diameter retaining ring for the pinion shaft. I can't imagine how I can make one for this.

Any suggestions for the tools? My goal is to only remove the gear carrier and swap the main shaft with the 3rd/4th gears, hub and sync rings on it. If I can achieve this I may look into if I will be able to replace sync rings and anything else. I know I must be krazy. But I have two trannies on the ground now. If I screwed up they are still good cores if I end up getting professionally rebuilt ones.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/